What a horrible way to spend the festive holidays. On the evening of Boxing day Jimmy suddenly experienced a tooth ach. Armed with pain killers he went to bed. The following morning which was Monday 27th Dec 2010 he was in a fair amount of pain. It is so difficult to get help on public holidays. His usual dentish was away for the long weekend. I took him to a private hospital Emergency Centre. All the doctor in Emergency could do was prescribe antibiotics. We had that script filled and our local friendly Pharmacist suggested a clove oil substance to be applied to the affected arear and some very potent pain relief tablets both for day and night. Still in a considerable amount of pain we drove a distance to an on call after hours dentist. I had this informatuion on my database at work. We were almost at the location when Jimmy announced that he felt a lot better and wanted to go home. Are you sure"? I"said.
Well, we were home an hour and Jimmy requested help and so off we went again. He did prescribe a second lot of antibiotics. The only catch is that he cannot drink any alcohol with this second medication. After checking with our son-in-law Craig who is a Pharmacist if that was corrrect he has taken it in his stride and has not had a drink since that day. About the after hours dentist and I use that word loosly, I would not send our pets to him. He instructed Jimmy to go and have exrays done on the bad tooth (he did not have exray equipment) and come back in 7 days to have the tooth pulled out. Jimmy kept trying to say that an Oral Maxillo Facial Surgeon has to extract his teeth in day surgery as his teeth roots are calcified into the jawbone. The fellow kept saying "don't worry I am a surgeon, I will pull it out."Lucky for him I was not in the room to remind him to listen to his patient and, NO, he is not a surgeon.
Jimmy does not often take any pain medication but he was taking several every two hours. I wish I could have done more. It was terrible to see him in so much pain.
1 comment:
dear miss lucy,
i hope your new year's day was much better than your boxing day was, and i wish you 364 more wonderful days to follow:)
much love,
dani xxx
Post a Comment